Our food choices can promote health and wellness. Eating nutritious, balanced meals might already be a part of your nutrition plan, but the snacks between meals can trip us up. Healthy snacks for older adults can help supplement nutrients, stabilize blood sugar levels, and prevent overeating during mealtimes. But it’s important to focus on quality, nutritious snacks for seniors that will aid in your nutrition plan – rather than detract from it. In this blog, we’ll give you some healthy snacks ideas for older adults, so you can make smart (and tasty) food choices.
High protein snacks for seniors
We’re starting with high protein snacks for seniors because protein will help keep you full and satisfied between meals.
Moreover, seniors generally require more protein than younger adults to stay healthy.
Research shows that protein may help maintain muscle mass, prevent age-related muscle loss, improve cardiovascular function, maintain energy levels, and manage weight.
Here are some easy, go-to high protein snacks for seniors:
1. Hard-boiled eggs are an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, and essential vitamins like zinc, B vitamins, calcium, choline, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Eggs are low in calories but nutrient-dense, so they’re a great way to supplement your diet without adding too many extra calories. Make a batch of hard-boiled eggs at the beginning of the week and snack on one or two whenever you get hungry.
2. Cottage cheese is chock full of calcium, protein, and B12 to help improve bone health, boost the immune system, and aid in digestion. Research shows that eating cottage cheese before bed can support metabolism, muscle recovery, and overall health. Pair cottage cheese with some tart cherries for a sweet dessert that will also help boost your melatonin production to promote quality, beneficial rest.
3. Greek yogurts are high protein snacks for seniors that may help ease constipation, control blood pressure, and add essential nutrients like calcium, zinc, B vitamins, and probiotics. Opt for plain Greek yogurt without added sugar, and sweeten it with some berries, honey, and cinnamon for a delicious midday or nighttime treat.
Healthy snacks for seniors before bed
Want to sleep better? Try the following nutritious snacks for seniors:
- Research shows that kiwis contain vitamins C, E, potassium, and folate, and they promote serotonin to help you fall asleep faster and sleep longer.
- Bananas contain potassium, which improves sleep, and tryptophan, an amino acid that helps induce serotonin and sleepiness.
- Tart cherries and tart cherry juice contain high levels of melatonin and magnesium, which promote restful sleep.
- Complex carbs can help prevent blood sugar fluctuations, which helps you stay asleep longer. Brown rice, oatmeal, and air-popped popcorn are complex carbs that naturally stimulate insulin production and contain tryptophan.
- Healthy fats are healthy snack ideas for older adults for all times of day, but avocados and pistachios particularly increase serotonin and can help you sleep better.
Delicious and nutritious snacks for seniors
Here are some of our favorite easy, delectable, healthy snacks for older adults.
1. Apple slices with peanut butter (or other nut butter) are delectable healthy snacks for seniors. This duo offers fiber, protein, and healthy fats to keep you full and satisfied between meals. Swap peanut butter for almond butter for a leaner option that’s equally scrumptious.
2. If you want to increase your intake of veggies over fruits, try celery sticks with nut butter instead. Adding some raisins to your “ants on the log” healthy snacks for seniors will help reduce blood pressure and add a sweet bite to your celery snack.
3. Guacamole with whole grain crackers is one of our favorite savory healthy snack ideas for older adults that will make you eager to snack throughout the day. Guacamole is made from avocados, a healthy source of fats; the whole-grain crackers add fiber and protein. If you don’t like whole grain crackers, try plantain chips for a boost of nutrients.
4. Customized trail mixes are high protein snacks for seniors. Make your own trail mix with your favorite combination of nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and sweet treats like dark chocolate chips. Trail mixes can be high in protein, healthy fats, and fiber, which will keep you satisfied between meals. Learn how to build a healthy trail mix here.
5. Veggies are some of the most nutritious snacks for seniors. But add some ranch dip or hummus, and veggies becomes equally as tasty as healthy. Buy whichever vegetables you prefer, like broccoli, petite carrots, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, or green beans. Pair these with a healthy hummus or ranch dip for an easy snack that loads the nutrients for the day.
Getting healthy snacks for seniors delivered
One of the hardest parts about eating healthy snacks for older adults is getting healthy snacks in the house. Filling your pantry with unhealthy, impulse buys won’t help your nutrition plan and goals.
That’s where GoGoGrandparent can help. Our GoGoGroceries delivers your groceries right to your front door. All you need to do is call our phone number, give us your grocery list, and let us handle the rest. Our GoGoGuardians work behind the scenes to ensure your grocery list is filled with proper replacements, if necessary, so you get the freshest, best food in your grocery order. You can also save your grocery list with us and even set up recurring deliveries, so you can always have your favorite healthy snacks for seniors on hand when you’re hungry.
Feeling hungry? Register with GoGoGrandparent to get your groceries delivered today!